Lens Finishes and Treatments
The finishes and treatments applied to your lenses will make a difference to their performance and how long they last:
- premium anti-reflective coatings prevent lens reflections and improve clarity of vision through them. They are also designed to be hydrophobic, oleophobic and anti-static making them much easier to care for. Specific lens coatings are also optimised specifically for driving, helping combat headlight dazzle at night.
- scratch-resistant coatings - these toughen up the lenses making them harder wearing and longer lasting.
- high energy light blocking - High Energy Light is thought to be a contributing factor in certain eye conditions such as macular degeneration and can be a factor in digital eye strain as well. Blue lens coatings can reflect some of this light, and some lens materials can absorb this HEV light
The sun emits visible and invisible electromagnetic waves. The most harmful are UV rays. While good quality clear lenses do help, there are better options to provide UV protection.
- We have dozens of lens tints to choose from, in classic and bold colours, including mirrored and bi-gradient options which can be paired with a rear surface, anti reflective coating that absorbs UV rather than reflecting it back into your eyes
- Polarised lenses - these offer the same level of UV protection but also have an additional filter that reduces glare from reflected light
- Photochromic lenses react in UV light and darken accordingly, offering dynamic sun protection amd comfortable vision. Available in a variety of colours from classic shades like grey or brown, to brighter tints such as amethyst and sapphire, and to bold vibrant colours including jade green and magenta.
Certain photochromic lenses can work behind the windscreen of a car to assist with driving, and can also be polarised to add extra protection in high-glare situations.
Photochromic lenses can also be made even more fashionable by combining them with a mirror finish - also available in a wide range of colours for unique and expressive looks!
There is a lens design to suit practically every need.
- Anti-fatigue lenses. Also known as enhanced single vision lenses, these lenses are designed to prevent or reduce eyestrain when you’re working or socialising on digital devices.
- Occupational lenses. These are multifocal lenses specifically designed and optomised for digital activities in a working environment.
- Varifocals. With a wide range of varifocal products available, we only offer the best, including lenses that take into account reading behaviour, eye dominance and eye shape for seamless vision.
There are many levels of lens thickness reduction available, and we will advise on what is your best option taking your prescription and frame selection into account. For super thin, lightweight, aesthetically pleasing lenses, we can offer high index lenses from Tokai, including a 1.76 index lens - the world's thinnest plastic lens.